Sr. Tool Design Engineer
Progressive stamping die designer with at least 10 years’ experience in precision metal stamping. Must be capable of managing the progressive die design process beginning with the customer part print through completion of a fully detailed tool design. Requires a 2-yr technical degree or equivalent formal training. Must have relevant CAD experience in both 2D and 3D environments.
- Design high-precision progressive stamping dies for high-volume production of complex tight-tolerance products per W-A Engineering standards. This includes, but is not limited to generate flat blank, develop strip layout, blanking and forming station layout, detail component and assembly drawings, etc.
- Create and modify Material Specifications, Plating Specifications, Heat-Treat Specifications, and other outside material/process specifications as required.
- Process data (layouts) for use in WEDM and CNC machining.
- Create and modify internal product drawings for inspection and other purposes.
- Design fixtures, gages and other custom tooling or equipment as required.
- Review customer drawings and specifications for manufacturing feasibility.
- Initiate and/or coordinate change control process (ECO) relating to Engineering documentation.
- Participate in Tooling Kickoff, Specification Review, Design Review and Lessons Learned (Postmortem) Meetings.
- Provide technical assistance to Tool Room regarding tooling and process issues during die fabrication and debugging.
- Jointly responsible for successful transfer of tooling to Manufacturing along with Tool Room and Project Engineering functions.
- Responsible for adherence to tooling project schedules and budgets as established by Project. Engineering and/or Stamping Design Manager.
- Initiate and/or coordinate outsourced tooling work with qualified tooling subcontractors. ensure accuracy, quality workmanship and on-time delivery of outsourced tooling components.
- Review stamping die cost estimates for accuracy.
- Maintain integrity of the W-A Engineering databases.
- Instruct and mentor Junior Die Designers.
- Other duties as assigned by Stamping Design Engineering Manager or V.P. of Engineering.
- Minimum of 5 yrs. of experience designing complex progressive stamping dies.
- 2-yr. technical degree required; 4-yr engineering degree preferred. Equivalent experience in a hands-on technical position, such as tool & die maker/apprentice, may be considered as a substitute for degree.
- Proficient in Computer-Aided Design (CAD). At a minimum, must be familiar with at least one 2-D CAD design package (eg. AutoCAD, Solid Edge, CadKey), however, 3-D experience preferable (eg. Solidworks, ProENGINEER).
- Understanding of ANSI/ISO drawing standards. Knowledge of GD&T dimensioning preferable.
- Knowledge of Wire EDM and/or CNC machining technologies.
- Knowledge of tool steels and their applications.
- Knowledge of commonly stamped metals such as cold-rolled steels, stainless steels, and copper-based alloys.
- Understanding of die sensors, vision inspection, and/or related technology is preferable.
- Knowledge of insert molding process desirable.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Exceptional analytical and computational skills.
- Participate actively in a team-oriented environment.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience working in an environment having a registered quality system is a plus.
January 23, 2023