Senior Die Designer
Progressive stamping die designer to design and assist in detailing the tooling project for the engineering department. The ideal candidate will be able to support internal and external customers involved in the project and work independently and with a team.
- Design high precision progressive stamping dies for high-volume production of complex tolerance products per JK engineering standards, this includes, but is not limited to, generate flat blank, develop strip layout, blanking and forming station layout, detail component and assembly drawings, etc.
- Create and modify material, plating and heat treat specifications along with other outside material/process specifications as required.
- Process data (layouts) for use in WEDM and CNC machining centers.
- Create and modify internal product drawings for inspection and other purposes.
- Design fixtures, gages, and other custom tooling or equipment as required.
- Review customer drawings and specifications for manufacturing feasibility.
- Initiate and/or coordinate change control process (ECO) relating to engineering documentations.
- Participate in tooling kickoff, specification review, design review, and lessons learned (post mortem meetings)
- Provide technical assistance to die assembly regarding tooling and process issues during fabrication and debugging.
- Jointly responsible for successful transfer of tooling to press room or customer.
- Responsible for adhering to tooling project schedules and budgets as established by Project Engineer, Plant Manager or General Manager.
- Initiate and/or coordinate outsourced tooling work with the Plant Manager as required.
- Review stamping die cost estimated for accuracy with Operations.
- Maintain integrity of the JK Engineering databases.
- Instruct and mentor within department as needed.
- Minimum 5 years of experience designing complex progressive stamping dies.
- 2 yr. technical degree required; 4 yr. engineering degree preferred. Equivalent experience in a hands-on technical position, such as tool & die maker may be considered as a substitute to degree.
- Proficient in CAD. At a minimum, must be familiar with at least one 2D CAD design package. 3D experience is preferred.
- Knowledge if ANSI/ISO drawing standards. Knowledge of GD&T dimensioning preferable.
- Demonstrate knowledge of metal stamping industry and industry practices.
- Basic understanding of the functioning of high-speed stamping presses.
- Knowledge of WEDM and machining technologies.
- Knowledge of tool steels and their applications.
- Knowledge of commonly stamped metals such as cold rolled steels, stainless steels and copper-based alloys.
- Understanding of die sensors, vision inspection, and/or related technology is preferred.
- Basic understanding of insert molding process is desirable.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs.
- Experience working in an environment having a registered quality system is a plus.
- Desire to take classes as needed to gain additional skills needed to succeed within the company.
148 Prominence Dr, New Kensington , PA, 15068
February 24, 2023