Mold Design Engineer
The Mold designer/engineer must be capable of managing the mold design and fabrication process beginning with the customer part print through to a fully reviewed design.
- Oversee the design and fabrication of high-precision plastic injection and insert Hot Runner Molds for high-volume production of complex tight-tolerance products. This includes, but is not limited to: preparation of product drawing/model for use in mold design, generate or approve both the initial mold layout concept and final mold design (includes factors such as mold size/base, parting line, ejection, gates, runners, water lines and drafting), generate or approve the creation of detailed mold component and assembly drawings, and generate and approve mold qualification plan that includes parameters to be evaluated before taking delivery of fabricated molds. Responsible for ensuring that molding design and fabrication projects result in robustly operating tools that consistently produce quality product at the required rates.
- Create and modify Material Specifications, Setup Sheets, Reeling Specifications, Packaging Specifications and other internal or outside material/process specifications as required.
- Process data (layouts) for use in WEDM and CNC machining.
- Create and modify internal product drawings for inspection and other purposes.
- Design fixtures, gages and other custom tooling or equipment as required.
- Review customer drawings and specifications for manufacturing feasibility.
- Initiate and/or coordinate change control process (ECO) relating to Engineering documentation.
- Participate in supporting Quote of Molds, Tooling Kickoff, Feasibility/Specification Review, Design Review and Lessons Learned (Postmortem) Meetings to establish Production Ready Molds.
- Provide technical assistance to Toolroom regarding tooling and process issues during debugging of mold or other tooling.
- Jointly responsible for successful transfer of tooling to Manufacturing along with Toolroom and Project Engineering functions.
- Responsible for adherence to tooling project schedules and budgets as established by Project Manager and/or Mold Engineering Manager.
- Initiate and/or coordinate outsourced tooling design, Hot Runner manufactures and fabrication work with qualified subcontractors. Ensure accuracy, quality workmanship and on-time delivery of outsourced tooling design and fabrication activities.
- Review mold tooling cost estimates for accuracy.
- Minimum of 5 yrs. of experience designing and/or fabricating complex injection mold tooling along with high-volume and/or tight tolerance insert molded products is preferred.
- 2-yr. technical degree required; 4-yr engineering degree preferred. Equivalent experience in a hands-on technical position, such as mold maker/apprentice, may be considered as a substitute for degree.
- Very Proficient 3D Solid Works mold design package along with 2-D experience (i.e. DraftSight, AutoCAD, SolidEdge). Experience analyzing mold flow software and editing desirable.
- Ability to read blueprints and other technical documents. Requires understanding of ANSI/ISO drawing standards and GD&T dimensioning.
- Demonstrated knowledge of injection molding industry and practices.
- Understanding of molding press ancillary equipment desirable.
- Knowledge of Wire EDM and/or CNC machining technologies.
- Knowledge of advanced metrology equipment used for the qualification of mold tooling, such as CMM or laser-scanning technologies, is very desirable.
- Knowledge of tool steels and their applications.
- Knowledge of common engineering plastics used for injection molding such as PPS, PA66, PC, PPA, PP, LCP, PBT etc. including common added modifying agents such as colorants, glass fiber, talc, etc.
- Understanding of mold sensors, vision inspection, and/or related technology is preferable.
- Knowledge of quality inspection tools and methods preferable. Familiarity with Statistical Process Control (SPC) tools and methods also preferable.
- Knowledge of precision metal stamping dies and processes preferred.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Knowledge or MRP or ERP software preferable.
6 Daniel Rd, Fairfield, NJ, 07004
October 31, 2022